Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Queen Hornet!

I was walking through an abandoned field the other day, when I looked down and noticed a dead grasshopper on the foot path.  I bent down to take a closer look with my camera, when a bee buzzed and hovered and landed on it.  I was scared to move, and wondered what interest a bee had in the grasshopper any ways!  When I came home, I read more about what I saw and what I saw had amazed me!  
Turns out it wasn't a bee after all!  It was a hornet instead! Hornets, they say are the most eusocial insects of all.  They are actually very gentle and social and in fact even shy and prefer to evade conflict outside of their nesting area. They have been given to myths and stories about their stingers being lethal when truthfully they are no more dangerous than a bee or wasp sting.
Now for the story of what really goes on in and around the Hornets' world!   It is a sad but true tale, and I will share it with you.  As it was October, what I was looking at here was actually a hornet carrying food back to the nest.  Back in April, the Queen Hornet left her winter hideaway to build a little nest where she would put down her first egg.  In a few weeks' time, possibly in May, the larvae would hatch and soon would go through metamorphosis (these larvae will eventually become her "workers").  Shortly after in June, the Queen Hornet was attacked by an intruder in the nest.  Soon her first worker reached adulthood.  By the end of June, Queen Hornet was attacked once again by the invader, but this time her 4 adult workers had killed off the invader.  By the end of July there were too many workers (over 180!) so they had to find a new place to nest.  So they had relocated.   In the beginning of August, the Queen Hornet laid down more eggs which would eventually become males and females (Young queens).  Well I guess you can sort of figure out what happens next.  By the end of the month both the males and females had emerged into adult hornets. Two months later, roughly around some time in October, the Queen Hornet dies.  Death by malnutrition from neglect from her workers.  Soon after her death, there will be the mating of the new male and female adults and the young queens will hibernate until April when the cycle will start over again.  The last of her workers will die in the first cold frost of November.  Told you it was sad, but I hope I haven't confused you! If I did, Watch THIS!